Dragoman marsh birding tour
In the morning you will be picked up from your hotel and transferred (1,20hrs one way) westwards to the biggest Karst marsh in Bulgaria. The checklist here is especially varied in spring and autumn as this wetland lies along the Via Aristotelis flyway and a big number of migrants use it as a stop-over. The composition of the breeding bird fauna is also quite diverse, considering also the presence of lower and higher Karst hills surrounding the marsh.
Expected highlights in summer (end of May-July): Bittern, Little Bittern, Purple Heron, Great Egret, Long-legged Buzzard, Marsh Harrier, Short-toed Eagle, Water Rail, Ferruginous Duck, Black-headed Bunting, Ortolan Bunting, Rock Bunting, Sombre Tit, Rock Thrush, Great Reed Warbler, Savi’s Warbler, Lesser Grey Shrike, Short-toed Lark, Isabelline Wheatear, Stonechat, Black-headed Yellow Wagtail, Crag Martin etc.
Expected highlights during migration (April-end of May; August-September): Bittern, Little Bittern, Black Stork, Purple Heron, Great Egret, Little Egret, Squacco Heron, Pygmy Cormorant, Long-legged Buzzard, Red-footed Falcon, Water Rail, Montague’s Harrier, Marsh Harrier, Short-toed Eagle, Honey Buzzard, Black Kite, Water Rail, Ferruginous Duck, Black-headed Bunting, Ortolan Bunting, Rock Bunting, Sombre Tit, Great Reed Warbler, Savi’s Warbler, Lesser Grey Shrike, Short-toed Lark, Isabelline Wheatear, Crag Martin etc.
- Duration1 day
- What is includedprivate transfers, pick up/drop off at any location in Sofia, English-speaking driver/guide, fuel, and all road taxes, and use of a spotting scope
- What is not includedmeals and drinks, other personal expenses, tips, insurance
- Best periodApr - Sep
- € 140 per person for 1 person;
- € 85per person for 2 or 3 persons;
The prices include
- An expert English-speaking birdwatching guide throughout the tour;
- Ground transportation with a modern and comfortable vehicle from Traventuria's fleet. Pick-up and drop off from your accommodation in Sofia or Plovdiv;
- Scoping tube.
Remarks and clothing
- The program may undergo changes due to circumstances beyond the control of the tour operator;
- If possible, take your field bird spotter and binoculars.