One-day birding trip in SW Bulgaria
A birdwatching day trip with an intensive itinerary to Southwest Bulgaria, where the Mediterranean influence is strongly felt, can mean a great birding experience and a long list of observed species. The tour includes different habitats to provide variety and make as much as possible of every precious minute of your birding holiday. The route traces part of the Via Aristoteles flyway and during the spring and autumn migration rarities could be expected as well. The diversity and wealth of avians and other wildlife in this beautiful unspoiled area of Bulgaria are astounding! Let us prove it to you.
You will be picked up early in the morning from your accommodation in Sofia and transferred within an hour and a half to the Kresna Gorge – a scenic area with utmost biodiversity. We will take a walk on a path crossing meadows rich in orchids to reach a point with a great panoramic view. The species that could be expected are Griffon Vulture, Golden Eagle, Short-toed Snake-eagle, Booted Eagle, Common Buzzard, Peregrine Falcon, Eastern Orphean Warbler, Rock Nuthatch, Sombre Tit, Red-backed Shrike and more.
We continue further south to the village of Ilindenci, where we will be scanning the rock massifs above the settlement for Common Kestrel, Little Owl, Blue Rock Thrush, Black-eared Wheatear, Olivaceous Warbler, Eastern Bonelli’s Warbler, Rock Sparrow, Calandra Lark, Great Reed Warbler and other passerines.
We continue to Rupite – a long inactive volcano crater split by Struma River. We will make observations both along the river and on the protected rocky hill Kojuha. Here we expect Rock Nuthatch, Golden Oriole, Roller, Levant Sparrowhawk, Mask Shrike, Common Bee-eater, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, Calandra Lark, Eleonora`s Falcon (during the summer only) and more.
The tour will be concluded in the late afternoon/early evening with a 2.5-hour transfer to your hotel in Sofia.
The tour runs as private and can be extended by a day or two with a visit to the area of the Melnik Pyramids, Belasitsa Mountains and the famous among birders Lake Kerkini.
You may take interest in our other one-day birdwatching trips.
- Duration1 day
- What is includedprivate transfers, pick up/drop off at any location in Sofia, English-speaking driver/guide, fuel, and all road taxes, and use of a spotting scope
- What is not includedmeals and drinks, other personal expenses, tips
- Best periodMid-April to late June
- € 150 per person for 1 person;
- € 90 per person for 2-3 persons.
The prices include
- An expert English-speaking birdwatching guide throughout the tour;
- Ground transportation with a modern and comfortable vehicle from Traventuria's fleet. Pick-up and drop off from your accommodation in Sofia;
- Scoping tube.
- The program may undergo changes due to circumstances beyond the control of the tour operator;
- If possible, take your field bird spotter and binoculars.