Lesser Kestrel Hide
This is the first Bulgarian photo hide built chiefly for Lesser kestrels (Falco naumanni) photography. It is located in a breeding colony of these charismatic falcons, in the rich of wildlife gentle-hilled Sakar Mountains. These beautiful birds are quite sociable and easy to photograph without disturbing their everyday activities. This is an excellent opportunity to try and master different photographic skills.
About the Lesser kestrel colony in the Sakar Mountains
In the second half of the 20th century, due to many reasons, including heavy use of pesticides, the Lesser Kestrel disappeared as a species from the territory of Bulgaria. It took years of work and a lot of expertise for the Green Balkans NGO to restore the Sakar Lesser Kestrel colony, where the hide is situated. This is one of the Bulgarian conservation success stories. By renting the hide you will be also helping and financing the Green Balkans’ noble mission.
Birdwatching and other wildlife photography options
The hide is located in the village of Levka, close to the town of Svilengrad.
- solely the rent of the hide (2 pers is the max. capacity)
- transportation, accommodation and the photo hide rental
- birdwatching and wildlife photography tours tailored to your interests (please enquire); The Sakar Mountain is famous as a paradise of raptors and Mediterranean species. Interesting species such as Masked Shrike, Red-backed and Woodchat shrikes, Imperial Eagle, Booted Eagle, Lesser Spotted Eagle, Black Kite, Long-legged Buzzard, Orphean Warbler, Isabelline Wheatear, Golden Jackal, Ground Squirrel, and many more can be on your tour agenda.
15 April - 15 August
Lesser Kestrel, Spanish Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, Domestic Sparrow, Common Starling
entering in the hide and exit are possible in any time, but after permision of guide
Comfort and accesoaries
Chair, no toilet
Recommended focal length
>400 mm; shooting is thorough embrasures.
Hide's photography direction
- Duration15 April - 15 August
- € 90 for one person/day
- € 60 for two persons/day
The price includes:
- Rent of the hide for a whole day;
The price does not include:
- Private transfer from any point in Bulgaria and Northern Greece to the village of Levka can be arranged (not included in the price)
- Kindly note that there are no options to sleep in the hide. There is a whole spectrum of accommodation options in the town of Svilengrad.
- Meals and drinks;
- English-speaking guide (please, enquire if needed).
The hide's rules and details
- The hide has no electricity;
- The hide does not have a toilet;
- Smoking is not permitted in the hide;
- The hide booking is for a full day, you can enter it and leave it at your convenience. However, we highly recommend not leaving the hide during the day!
- With the booking, we do not provide food or drinks. Please bring enough food and water to last you for the day;
- The hide is on open terrain and it may get hot inside during the summer days. Bring appropriate clothes depending on the weather forecast.
- Please consider the wildlife and the environment, and behave responsibly! Do not leave any litter in or out of the hide!