Rollers and Bee-eaters Hide
The wildlife photo hide is next to a gregarious colony of bee-eaters, rollers, starlings and a little owl. The birds are nesting in a sandy bank close to the Danube.
The hide design offers numerous advantages for taking dream photos. Firstly, in order to improve eye contact and better background, the hide is constructed 5 meters above the ground. Secondly, excellent visibility over the surrounding is further guaranteed by the views from windows positioned over camera loopholes. Thirdly, the photography can be done in two directions – south and north. In this way, every wildlife photographer has options to take pictures with different background colours and light conditions throughout the day. Lastly, but equally important, there are plenty of different twigs and branches used by the birds as perches. This creates opportunities for making photos with diverse settings.
The usual distance between the photographer and the birds is about 5-10 meters.
Bee-eater and Roller Photography
These are one of the most colourful birds in Europe and every spring they top the wish lists of wildlife photographers. Besides the vivid colours of their plumage, they have fascinating courtship displays. Their outlook and behaviour make the experience of photographing them always truly mesmerizing and unforgettable.
Birds of Prey & Golden Jackals Hide
You can combine the wildlife photography of bee-eaters and rollers with that of raptors and mammal carnivores.
Birdwatching and other wildlife photography options
The hide is located in Persina Nature Park – a protected area with great bird diversity of birds such as the Dalmatian Pelican, White-tailed Eagle, Long-legged Buzzard, different species of terns and herons, Ruddy Shelduck, passerines such as Red-backed, Lesser Grey and Woodchat Shrike, Golden Oriole, Penduline Tit and many others. You can birdwatch or take photos of this great avian diversity.
10 May - 30 June
Common Bee-eater, European Roller, Little Owl, Common Starling, Tree Sparrow, Hoopoe, Common Cuckoo
Stable dirty road around 2 km long, 30 meters walking from parking
Entering before sunrise, exit - in any time
Comfort and accesoaries
Chair, table, no toilet
Recommended focal length
>300 mm; shooting is thorough embrasures.
Hide's photography direction
South and North
The price includes:
- Rent of the hide for a whole day;
- Transport from the town of Belene to the hide and back
The price does not include:
- Private transfer from Sofia Airport to the town of Belene or vice versa (distance 250km); Our offer is 125 euros per station wagon car (comfortable for 3 photographers); 160 euros per 8-seater minibus;
- Accommodation - send us an inquiry for booking or just recommendations for accommodation. Kindly note that there are no options to sleep in the hide;
- Meals and drinks;
- English-speaking guide (please, enquire if needed)
- You may consider also hiring the Birds of Prey and Jackals Hide.
The hide's rules and details
- The hide does not have electricity;
- The hide does not have a toilet. There are plenty of bushes in the area that can provide you with the needed discretion. You should be prepared to stay in the hide at least for several hours. Every time you leave the hide will cause a gap in the animals visiting the adjacent area, thus reducing the chance of making quality photos;
- Smoking is not permitted in the hide;
- The hide booking is for a full day, you can enter it and leave it at your convenience. However, we highly recommend not leaving the hide during the day!
- With the booking we do not provide food or drinks. Please bring enough food and water to last you for the day;
- The hide is on open terrain and it may get hot inside it during the summer days. Bring appropriate clothes depending on the weather forecast.
- Please consider the wildlife and the environment, and behave responsibly! Do not leave any litter in or out of the hide!