Birdwatching in Vitosha Nature Park
Vitosha Mountains are the first thing people see on their way from Sofia Airport to the city center. This is the oldest nature park in the Balkans and the most favourite hiking destination for the inhabitants of the capital, being just an hour’s drive from the center of the city. The highest peak is Cherni Vryh (The Black Peak), rising at 2290m a.s.l. Depending on the weather and your physical conditions we will either take a walk in the alpine parts first and then go to the woods or we will make just a relaxed hike in the century-old spruce forest. If you prefer walking to birding no problem to climb the peak itself (the uphill walk is just 1-1,30hrs from where we are going to stop with the car) and extend the trek to another famous part of the mountains – The Golden Bridges, passing along the backbone of the mountains, descending from the other side.
Expected highlights in summer (end of May-September): Pallid Swift, Nutcracker, Willow Tit, Black Woodpecker, Ring Ouzel, Water Pipit, Black Redstart, Crag Martin, Goldcrest, Firecrest, Common Crossbill etc.
- Duration1 day
- What is includedprivate transfers, pick up/drop off at any location in Sofia, English-speaking driver/guide, fuel, and all road taxes, and use of a spotting scope
- What is not includedmeals and drinks, other personal expenses, tips
- Best periodMay - Sep
- € 140 per person for 1 person;
- € 85 per person for 2 or 3 persons;
The price include
- An expert English-speaking birdwatching guide throughout the tour;
- Ground transportation with a modern and comfortable vehicle from Traventuria's fleet. Pick-up and drop off from your accommodation in Sofia;
- Scoping tube.
- The program may change due to circumstances beyond the control of the tour operator;
- If possible, take your binoculars.