Birds of Prey & Jackals Hide
The hide was built in March 2022 primarily for White-tailed Eagle photography. It is located on the territory of National Park Persina, very close to the largest Bulgarian island on the Danube. The region holds superb wildlife, which provides excellent opportunities for birdwatching tours and nature photography throughout the year. The best season for taking pictures of birds of prey and mammal carnivores is winter.
Two hides in one trip
From the beginning of May until the end of June, you can combine renting the Birds of Prey & Jackals hide photography with the Bee-eaters and Rollers hide. The latter is located close to the town of Belene as well.
Photography with conservation on your mind
Persina Nature Park is famed mainly for the breeding of Dalmatian pelicans, Red-necked grebes and other water-connected birds as well as the White-tailed eagles. It is the only Bulgarian nature park on the Danube river and protects significant biodiversity in one of the most economically undeveloped areas in Bulgaria and Europe. Most of the money from this hide rental package will remain in the local economy and community. In this way, you will be investing not only in the joy of taking pictures of birds and other wildlife but also in increasing the locals’ appreciation of nature and in the end the objects of your photography.
All year round; best period for bird of prey is November, December, January, February and March
White-tailed Eagle, Common Buzzard, Golden Jackal, Marsh Harrier, Long-legged Buzzard, Rough-legged Buzzard (rare winter visitor), Red Fox, Magpie, Raven, Hooded Crow, Badger
The hide manager will lift you from your accommodation in Belene and collect you later. There is a parking some 400 meter from the hide.
Entering before sunrise, exit - in sunset; every enter/exit is with local guide
Comfort and accesoaries
Chairs, gas heather in winter
Recommended focal length
>300 mm; shooting is thorough embrasures
Photography direction of the hide
The price includes:
- Rent of the hide for a whole day;
- Transport from the town of Belene to the hide and back;
- Bait for the raptors.
The price does not include:
- Private transfer from Sofia Airport to the town of Belene or vice versa (distance 250km); Our offer is 125 euros per station wagon car (comfortable for 3 photographers); 160 euros per 8-seater minibus;
- Accommodation - send us an inquiry for booking or just recommendations for accommodation. Kindly note that there are no options to sleep in the hide;
- Meals and drinks;
- English-speaking guide (please, enquire if needed)
The hide rules and details
- The hide does not have electricity;
- The hide does not have a toilet. There are plenty of bushes in the area that can provide you with the needed discretion. You should be prepared to stay in the hide at least for several hours. Every time you leave the hide will cause a gap in the animals visiting the adjacent area, thus reducing the chance of making quality photos;
- Smoking is not permitted in the hide;
- The hide booking is for a full day, you can enter it and leave it at your convenience. However, we highly recommend not leaving the hide during the day!
- With the booking we do not provide food or drinks. Please bring enough food and water to last you for the day;
- The hide is on open terrain and it may get hot inside it during the summer days and cold on winter days. Bring appropriate clothes and enough water with you;
- We provide a gas heater during the cold winter days, but using it reduces the chances of photographing mammals as they are very sensitive to smell;
- Please consider the wildlife and the environment, and behave responsibly! Do not leave any litter in or out of the hide!