Egyptian Vulture & Other Raptors
The wildlife photo hide is in a site designed for supplementary feeding of the globally threatened Egyptian vulture. There are only a few pairs of this rare species breeding in Northern Bulgaria and two of them are regularly visiting the feeding site in front of the hide.
As of April 2023, this is the newest wildlife photo hide in Bulgaria. It is located only 35 km from Varna, right on the Via Pontica flyway and in a biodiversity hotspot. Besides the Egyptian vultures, the feeding site is frequented by other raptors such as Common Buzzard, Long-legged Buzzard, Marsh Harrier, Hen Harrier, and Lesser Spotted Eagle. There are chances for mammal photography as well, as Golden jackals and Red foxes visit the site as well.
The design of the hide gives you perfect opportunities to make fantastic pictures in different backgrounds and situations. The usual distance between the photographer and the birds is about 30 meters.
Forest Mirror Pool Hide
You can combine Egyptian vultures and raptors wildlife photography with songbirds.
Birdwatching and other wildlife photography options
The hide is located near the village of Avren, close to the city of Varna. We can offer you birdwatching and photography tours to the wetlands near Varna. Photography at the wetlands will be from the ground while camouflaged with a camo net. Expected species: Black-winged Stilt, Common Lapwing, other waders, ducks and even songbirds.
all year round
Egyptian vulture (apr-aug), Common Buzzard, Long-legged Buzzard, Lesser Spotted Eagle (migration period), Marsh Harrier, Hen Harrier (winter), Raven, Magpie, Red Fox, Golden Jackal, European Hare
Stable dirty road around 3 km long
Entering before sunrise, exit - after sunset
Comfort and accesoaries
Chair, table, no toilet
Recommended focal length
>400 mm; shooting is thorough photo window or embrasures.
Hide's photography direction
- DurationAll year round
The price includes:
- Rent of the hide for a whole day;
The price does not include:
- Private transfer from Varna Airport to the village of Avren can be arranged (not included in the price)
- Kindly note that there are no options to sleep in the hide. There is a whole spectrum of accommodation options in the city of Varna.
- Meals and drinks;
- English-speaking guide (please, enquire if needed)
- You may consider also hiring the Forest Mirror pool hide.
The hide's rules and details
- The hide has no electricity;
- The hide does not have a toilet. There are plenty of bushes in the area that can provide you with the needed discretion. You should be prepared to stay in the hide at least for several hours. Every time you leave the hide will cause a gap in the animals' visits, thus reducing the chance of making quality photos;
- Smoking is not permitted in the hide;
- The hide booking is for a full day, you can enter it and leave it at your convenience. However, we highly recommend not leaving the hide during the day!
- With the booking, we do not provide food or drinks. Please bring enough food and water to last you for the day;
- The hide is on open terrain and it may get hot inside during the summer days and cold during the winter months. Bring appropriate clothes depending on the weather forecast.
- Please consider the wildlife and the environment, and behave responsibly! Do not leave any litter in or out of the hide!